NOTE: Husbandry volunteer positions may involve exposure to inclement weather, dust, potentially dangerous and unpredictable animal species, and potentially dangerous machinery, restraint devices, toxic chemicals and/or drugs. Occasional use of protective clothing or equipment is required e.g. goggles, mask, gloves and gowns.
Applications are now being accepted through January 15, 2017
Qualified volunteers assist biologists in their daily routine of maintaining the hippo and penguin exhibits and holding systems. Duties will include exhibit cleaning and maintenance, diet preparation, behavior observations and record keeping. With experience, volunteers may have the opportunity to participate in aquarium presentations and answer questions from visitors.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Willing to make a one year commitment.
- Volunteer a minimum of 16 hours per month, committing to a set schedule of two 8-hour days (7:30am - 4:30pm) per month on permanent days. (i.e.1st and 3rd Sundays, 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, etc.).
- Be reliable, patient, and willing to learn.
- Willing to handle raw fish/meat, feeder mice and insects.
- Be in good health and capable of performing strenuous and/or heavy physical labor, including lifting 50 pounds.
- Willing to rake, sweep, squeegee, shovel, and clean windows. This is a physically demanding position.
- Able to climb and have good balance.
- Able to stand for long periods of time and enjoy being wet and dirty.
- Have no history of allergies related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to work. Will be exposed to hay.
Apply Online Now